Magical Happy Valley Haven
4034 Happy Valley Road
4 Bed / 3.5 Bath
3122 Sq. Ft +/-
Masterfully designed gardens by the late Henry Matsutani Sr., gifted landscape artist and chief designer of the restored Japanese Tea Garden in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park, embrace this magical 1.3± acre property tucked in Lafayette’s coveted Happy Valley. The park-like setting lovingly wraps around this renovated home that features mostly single-story living. Superbly designed and crafted with an attention to every detail, unobstructed views are maximized with a seamless connection to the enchanting gardens that many have admired, but few have been fortunate enough to call home.
Rich wood finishes, walls of windows framing the garden art scape, and expansive rooms are just a few of the beautiful appointments that create this home of distinction. In addition, a detached 2-bedroom cottage offers inviting space with private patios and views. Entertain on any scale on sprawling Epi decks and patios, play along the lush lawns and in the solar-heated, Pebble Tec pool, or challenge friends to a game of bocce while sipping wine in the shade of a wooden pavilion dripping with wisteria vines. Slow down and take time each day to explore your private oasis. Stroll along the graceful pathways meandering through vibrant foliage, among colorful roses, over traditional Zen dry stream beds, and stone steps ascending the gentle slope to hidden pockets of tranquility under a canopy of towering Spruce, Cedars and Redwoods.
Happy Valley is known for some of the most prestigious addresses in town, if not the entire East Bay, but it is loved for its semi-rural character and understated elegance. A mere 25 miles from downtown San Francisco, this prized pocket of town is centrally located and close to Hwy. 24/680, BART, the beloved Lafayette Reservoir, hiking and biking trails, Oakwood Athletic Club, downtown retail, and Lafayette’s popular restaurant row. We can’t forget Happy Valley Elementary School either with its A+ reputation!
- Welcoming foyer illuminated with flush mounted Italian light fixture, Brazilian cherry hardwood floors
- Living room and adjoining dining room with custom built-in cabinetry, vaulted ceiling, floor-to-ceiling fireplace with stone hearth, custom wood valences with discrete automated window shades (Lutron) and up lighting; walls of windows wrap around two sides of the large room with three sliding, dual pane French doors and transoms with amazing garden views
- Formal dining room with Farrow and Ball designer paint accent wall, and Italian-made bowl chandelier
- Updated kitchen showcasing glazed cabinetry, with custom pull out shelving, granite slab counters, decorative tile backsplash, pendant lighting, skylight with automated shade, stainless appliances including Wolf oven and five-burner cooktop, Bosch dishwasher, GE Monogram built-in refrigerator with matching glazed paneled doors, and walk-in pantry furnished with Elfa shelving units
- Casual dining area with sliding French door to Epi deck and garden views
- Spacious family room updated with built-ins that feature soft-close cabinetry with pull out shelving, two skylights with automated shades, gallery and recessed lighting, beam ceiling, sliding French door to deck and patio
- Light-filled master retreat with crown molding, ceiling fan, automated shades over sliding French door to covered deck, walk-in closet, second closet with mirrored sliding doors, and custom redesigned bathroom with oval, dimmable, vanity mirrors, inspired by the Maui Four Seasons, mounted on a glass mosaic tile wall, Caesarstone vanity tops, dual sinks with Rohl nickel faucets, porcelain 12 x 18 floor tile with curbless shower
- Two additional bedrooms on main level have recessed lighting, ceiling fans, large picture windows with front garden views, and nearby full bathroom with dual sink vanity, and shower/tub combination
- Guest suite downstairs with Teak hardwood floors, Farrow and Ball light-absorbing designer wall paint, spacious bedroom, sitting room, closet, full bathroom with a travertine waterfall counter, glass tile backsplash, Grohe faucets, heated floors and shower/bathtub with travertine surround. Two sets of sliding French doors with garden and pool access
- Redesigned laundry room/mudroom to accommodate cabinetry, drying rods, stacked washer and dryer, glass mosaic tile backsplash, and stainless sink with pull-down faucet
- Charming detached 640± square-foot cottage, two bedrooms, one with French door to covered patio, one full bathroom with pedestal sink, living room, fireplace, kitchenette, private front patio, garden views, vaulted ceiling, recessed lighting, Farrow and Ball interior paint, stacked washer and dryer, and latched windows that swing out to capture a cool breeze
- Three-paneled solid interior doors with updated hardware
- Dual pane sliding French doors
- Two-car finished garage with storage shelves
- Dedicated utility room with ample storage, new 75-gallon water heater, full house humidifier, additional heat pump for downstairs, reinsulated ducts, recirculating pump for instant hot water to master bathroom, and newer security alarm system
- Brick paver circular driveway with mature shade trees and refreshed front landscape, slate tile front porch and double door entry
- A labor of love for two generations of Matsutani’s, the landscape also features a Japanese garden stone lantern, a personal gift from the designers
- Epi deck with covered portion and steps leading down to Pebble Tec pool heated with solar panels
- Planting beds, extensive lawns including synthetic turf lawn area ideal for pet play area or children’s play structure, and crushed stone and flagstone walkways throughout gardens
- Dry stream beds and a dry stone waterfall designed by Henry Matzutani Sr.
- Lighted pathways ascend the gentle slope of the land and curve through groves of trees providing views of the house and gardens
- Bocce ball court with nearby rose/cutting garden and covered viewing area
- Extensive up lighting of trees and gardens designed by Janet Lennox Moyer
- Multiple groves of trees and intimate gardens including more than 70 Japanese Maples, Spruce, Cedar, Redwood, and flowering Crabapple
- Redwoods with recently raised skirts unveil a garden below of flourishing Rhododendrons
- Storage area for garden tools and potting shed