July 12, 2017
Summertime means vacation time, and how fortunate are we to live in an area with so many getaway opportunities, all within a few hours driving time? As Bay Area residents, we’ve no need to hassle with air travel in order to experience locales about which dreams are made: Napa Valley, Carmel, San Francisco, etc. They’re all right within our reach. Need some inspiration? From north to south, here are a few of our team’s favorite ‘staycation’ getaway ideas:
- Upper Lake: This small, historic town near Clear Lake is home to a charming and luxurious inn – the Tallman – a perfect home base for exploration of the area’s many wineries and artisanal offerings. Take a pontoon tour of the lake for views that rival those at Tahoe. This entire area is an undiscovered, bucolic gem. Get up there now to beat the inevitable crowds that will soon follow. www.tallmanhotel.com
- Sacramento: The brand new, state-of-the-art Golden 1 Center has helped to spiff up the downtown area, and is THE place for summer concerts. Coming soon: Bruno Mars, John Mayer, Ed Sheeran, Kendrick Lamar, and many others. Book a stay at the elegant and historic Citizen Hotel and walk to and from the venue. www.thecitizenhotel.com
- Yountville: Considered the heart of Napa, a stay in Yountville puts you within a short distance to everything the valley offers: wine tasting, dining, gallery hopping, biking, and hiking. There are many lodging choices; we love the Vintage Inn. The rooms are spacious, the beautifully maintained gardens are lovely, and there’s a large pool. A lavish breakfast is included. www.vintageinn.com
- San Francisco: If you’re thinking, “been there, done that,” you haven’t been to the Presidio lately. Located on probably the most prime real estate in the City, the Presidio is where San Franciscans go to play. With miles of hiking and biking trails, the Disney Museum, destination restaurants, and the Sunday afternoon and Thursday night ‘Picnic in the Presidio’ food truck parties, the Presidio is hopping. Book a room at the casually elegant Inn at the Presidio (former officer’s barracks) for close proximity to all the action. www.innatthepresidio.com
- Carmel Village: Its charm is undeniable. From the storybook quality of each building and storefront, to the ocean views along the coastal walk, a stay here refreshes and rejuvenates. Book a room at the Plumpjack Group’s The Hideaway. Cozy and modern, this recently refurbished inn is centrally located near the boutiques, restaurants, wine tasting rooms, and galleries that attract visitors from around the world. An evening wine hour and continental breakfast are included. hideawaycarmel.com
Need more ideas? Call anyone on our team and we’ll happily share additional favorites. Have fun out there!