10 fun things you and your family can do at Saint Mary’s College in Moraga, CA
January 27, 2013
Saint Mary’s College of Califonia (“SMC”) might officially have the Moraga zip code, but that doesn’t stop those of us who live in Lafayette from claiming SMC as our end destination for family fun and lifelong learning.
That starts with those who go to school at Saint Mary’s, including our recent high school grads and those going back to school for both undergraduate and graduate degrees. SMC is a local employer, too. You’ll find Lafayette residents who teach there and are on the administrative staff. And, of course, some locals enjoy worshiping in the school’s beautiful chapel, where regular Catholic and special services are held.
There’s so much more, though.
Here are 10 others things local families enjoy doing at Saint Mary’s College. What did we miss?
- Cheer: Go Gaels! SMC has 14 Division 1 teams and 14 club ones. We attend SMC sports events with friends, as a family, or with youth sports teams. Going alone? Expect to at least wave. You’ll likely see friends and neighbors there, too. This includes basketball, baseball, lacrosse, soccer, and (nationally ranked!) rugby. For those who live in Lafayette’s nearby Burton Valley, you can put the dishes in the sink at 6:30, jump into the car, drive to SMC, park the car and get to your seat at McKeon Gym in time for the 7pm tip off of some of the best basketball around. Make sure you already have a ticket, though. Many of us have season tickets and the team plays to sold out crowds. Click here for upcoming SMC Gaels sport events.
- Learn from Experts: Free and low cost lectures at SMC are ongoing, but the January Term lecture series options are typically particularly compelling – and usually free to attend.
- Watch and Listen: Dance, music, and theatre. Open to the public and school field trips, too. This includes the January Term Children’s Show, always a winner for family entertainment. For an up-to-date SMC performing arts event listing, click here.
- Appreciate Art: Exhibits in the Saint Mary’s Museum of Art, sculpture and other public art, architectural elements throughout campus, and stained glass windows of the chapel. Photo-ops are everywhere.
- Meet for Coffee: The “hidden” local coffee shop is SMC’s Café Louis. There are indoor tables and virtually unlimited outdoor seating. You can access free Wi-Fi across much of the campus and that includes the cafe. Look for SMC Guest in the network list. No password is required but prepare to enter your name and email. Warning: Coffee shop hours vary depending on school calendar.
- Study: The Saint Albert Hall library cubicles are open to all, and so are the books in the stacks if you need on-site traditional research options. Ask the front desk about current rules about the public checking them out.
- Go to Camp: Sports, computer, and more. Day and Sleepover.
- Gather: Community and private events are held at the Soda Center, the gym, the chapel and more.
- Compete: This includes pick-up games in Madigan Gym and high school tournaments, including NCS basketball in McKeon when local teams are playing.
- Explore: Whether you arrive by bike, car, or just walk off the Lafayette-Moraga Trail, it’s fun to wander through campus. Favorite destinations: The cross at the top of the hill, Redwood Grove, and the hidden statue at the end of the wooded path. Have you found the remnants of the original gym?