No Time for a Vacation? No Worries:
July 20, 2017
No time for a summer getaway? With so much to see and do locally, there’s no need to skip town in order to relax and unwind. Here are some of our team’s favorite local activities that will put you in a vacation state of mind, whether you’ve got a free day, or a mere two hours:
- The Walt Disney Family Museum, The Presidio, San Francisco: Can’t make it to Disneyland? This is the next best thing. Featuring historic artifacts, interactive galleries, and a 12-foot model of Disneyland, this museum is fun for the whole family. From now through early October, see Deja View: The Art of Andreas Deja. Deja created some of Disney’s most iconic characters: Scar, Jafar, Gaston, Lilo, and Hercules. Go on Sunday afternoon or Thursday night and hit the always festive Presidio Picnic, held right outside the Museum on the Main Parade Ground.
- The Palace Hotel, San Francisco: One of San Francisco’s most iconic destinations, the Palace makes a great afternoon, evening, or overnight getaway. Enjoy tea in the spectacular Garden Court, a classic cocktail in the Pied Piper bar, or better yet, splurge and spend the night in one of its beautiful and classic rooms. Take your swim suit and enjoy a dip in the indoor pool with glass ceiling and skyline views. (The Palace is steps from the Montgomery BART station.)
- The Park Bistro & Bar, Lafayette Park Hotel: Even just a brief dinner ‘out’ can help you to re-boot, and an evening here, one of our local favorites, will do the trick. A new chef, Frank Macias, is shaking things up with his fresh, seasonally inspired dishes. His California halibut with peas á la française, new potatoes, and herb butter is simply sublime. Dine inside, or on the enclosed patio, and get there early for happy hour drink and appetizer specials (Monday – Friday, 4:30 – 6pm).
- Broadway Plaza, Walnut Creek: Thanks to the recent and ongoing remodel, shopping is now world-class, the restaurant choices are plentiful, and the people watching is the best. Grab a cold drink and a snack and sit or stroll. The Summer Concert Series featuring local bands starts in August – every Thursday night – at the new Event Plaza.
- Moraga Commons Park Summer Concert Series, Moraga: Join your friends and neighbors for Lamorinda’s largest party. The Moraga Commons free summer concerts take place every Thursday night. Bring a picnic, or purchase grilled items on-site. Concerts start at 6:30.
Need more ideas? Give us a call. We are happy to share additional favorite Bay Area activities.