Cold and Wet Weather is Coming. Be Ready.
November 7, 2017
As Northern California residents, we may not need to ‘batten down the hatches’ for fall and winter weather as do those in colder climates, but it’s still a good idea to ready your house for the shorter days and rains to come. Following is a quick list of tasks to consider. If you need help with anything home related, please take a look on our website for our list of suggested vendors.
- General exterior repairs. Take a walk around your house and note signs of damage. Check the roof, gutters, siding, and foundation. Schedule repairs before the big rains hit.
- Trim Call an arborist for an expert opinion on your trees and their root systems. Heavy winds and rains wreak havoc on trees and can cause them (or limbs) to fall and damage your property. I’ve seen this happen too many times!
- Clean gutters and downspouts. Clogged gutters can cause pooling water which can damage your roof or siding. Check also for rotted areas where water can leak. And, don’t climb a ladder if it is dangerous. Call a professional.
- Critter-proof. According to the exterminator experts, it’s been a banner year for rodents. The tiniest openings into your foundation or walls present an invitation to mice and rats who will soon be seeking warm places to nest. Keep them outside by filling small holes and covering large gaps securely with heavy-duty hardware cloth or call an expert to rodent-proof your home.
- Weatherproof windows and doors. Seal any air leaks that might cause energy waste.
- Check drainage: Make sure your downspouts are properly attached and directed towards proper drainage. Don’t allow water to pool around your foundation, which leads to cracks and leaks.
- Check your furnace: Don’t wait until the last minute to schedule an appointment with a heating and cooling professional to make sure your furnace is in working order. Once the really cold weather hits, most heating pros are booked solid, and you might find yourself bundling up for several days until an appointment is available. Don’t forget to change your furnace filters too!
If you have any questions about home maintenance and repair, please don’t hesitate to call us. We can direct you to experts who can help, recommend products that work, and provide suggestions and remedies for basic home upkeep.