Heading Back to School with a Smile
September 28, 2017
It’s a bittersweet time of the year when local kids reach for their backpacks instead of their swimsuits and beach towels. It’s hard to say goodbye to summer, but Lafayette’s fantastic public school system makes the ‘back to school’ season fun and exciting. It’s widely known that Lafayette’s great schools are one of the main draws for those moving to the area. Our four public elementary schools, middle school, and high school are consistently ranked in California’s top academic tier, thanks to awesomely dedicated teachers, great family participation, and the support of parents’ groups and our education foundation, Lafayette Partners in Education, LPIE. Here’s a closer look at each of our schools:
- Happy Valley Elementary: Home of the Huskies, Happy Valley Elementary is one of 335 schools across the nation recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education as a National Blue Ribbon School. A new Happy Valley Road sidewalk allows many of the school’s 520 students to safely walk to school.
- Springhill Elementary: Located in the Reliez Valley neighborhood, Springhill’s motto for the year is “Springhill Proud,” with an emphasis on three concepts: accept, respect, and appreciate. Springhill is committed to inclusiveness, and celebrates and supports the diversity of its community.
- Lafayette Elementary: Home of the Leopards, this downtown district school’s motto is “Character Counts.” Attributes of emphasis include the six pillars of character: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and
- Burton Valley Elementary: The largest of all of Lafayette’s four elementary schools, the Burton Valley campus, playgrounds, and sports fields are surrounded by verdant rolling hills. The neighborhood’s wide streets and bike paths allow for many of the more than 700 students to bike or walk to and from school.
- Stanley Middle School: “What You Do Matters” and “Character Counts” are the themes at this, Lafayette’s singular middle school for grades 6 – 8. Stanley offers stellar music programs, sporting opportunities, student leadership positions, and a host of other clubs and organizations in which your student can find his/her ‘place.’
- Acalanes High School: Our highly regarded high school offers a strong college preparatory program supported by expansive elective and school-sponsored, co-curricular opportunities. More than 95% of Acalanes grads continue their education at post-secondary institutions.
Lafayette families can also select from a number of outstanding private schools in the immediate area. Please let us know if you’d like more information, or if you would like a personal tour of the area’s schools.